Finding A Four Leaf Clover..

Thursday, March 4, 2010


Hmmm I have never been lucky enough to find a four leaf clover. When we were little we used to have patches of four leaf clover in our grass and we would sit there and try to race to see who could come up with a four leaf clover first. I don't remember ever finding one though. A couple of weeks ago we were on a trip to the coast and along the boardwalk next to the ocean there were these patches of clover and little wild flowers that reminded me of when I was little so I took a few pictures. According to tradition, finding a four leaf clover brings good luck to their finders, especially if found accidentally. According to legend, each leaflet represents something: the first is for hope, the second is for faith, the third is for love, and the fourth is for luck. Clovers can have more than four leaflets too. The most ever recorded is twenty-one but unofficial claims of discovery have ranged as high as twenty-seven. It has been estimated that there are approximately 10,000 three leaf clovers for every four leaf clover.
I found this cute poem that I wanted to share in honor of St. Patty's Day
by Jack Prelutsky
I found a four leaf clover
and was happy with my find,
but with time to think it over,
I've entirely changed my mind.
I concealed it in my pocket,
safe inside a paper pad,
soon, much swifter than a rocket,
my good fortune turned to bad.
I smashed my fingers in a door,
I dropped a dozen eggs,
I slipped and tumbled to the floor,
a dog nipped both my legs,
my ring slid down the bathtub drain,
my pen leaked on my shirt,
I barked my shin, I missed my train,
I sat on my dessert.
I broke my brand new glasses,
and I couldn't find my keys,
I stepped in spilled molasses,
and was stung by angry bees.
When the kitten ripped the curtain,
and the toast burst into flame,
I was absolutely certain
that the clover was to blame.
I buried it discreetly
in the middle of a field,
now my luck has changed completely,
and my wounds have almost healed.
If I ever find another,
I will simply let it be,
or I'll give it to my brother-
he deserves it more that me.


Pin It

No comments: